Home Page Our Work Curriculum Development & Training S4D Online Course

Sport for Development (S4D): Plan, Act, Grow

Course Name: Sport for Development (S4D): Plan, Act, Grow

Course Date: Fourth Cohort: July to August 2021 (Scholarship)

Third Cohort: January to March 2021

Second Cohort: June to July 2020

First Cohort: January to February 2020

About the Course

Sport has been around for centuries, but the concept of using sport as a tool for development is a fairly recent phenomenon. However, it is now becoming an important part of a number of humanitarian and developmental projects worldwide. The Sports for Development (S4D) sector has been an extremely positive and exciting addition to the field of development as well as the sports industry.

This course has been designed to make it relevant to practitioners, government officials, policy makers, social workers, sports trainers and managers as well as researchers who have limited insight into S4D, but are interested in building their knowledge and capacity to integrate S4D approaches within their overall development frameworks.

In 2021-22, scholarships will be provided to a total of 30 participants across two cohorts for this online S4D course. The scholarship program will cover 90% of the total fee of the online S4D course, with selected participants having to contribute the remaining 10%. The first-course offering for 15 selected participants is scheduled to start in July 2021, with the second cohort to begin in November 2021.

Course Objective

Develop an understanding of what Sport for Development (S4D) encompasses and how its impact aligns with the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)

  • Understand the landscape of the S4D sector and the various policies and strategies it encompasses
  • Develop appropriate knowledge and capacity to design and implement a development program using sports
  • Learn about the funding landscape and advocacy strategies specific to S4D

The course is offered by Pro Sport Development in collaboration with PRIA International Academy and UNESCO New Delhi

Course Structure

Module 1: Introduction to Sport for Development (S4D)

  • What is S4D?
  • S4D and the SDGs
  • Global impact of S4D

Module 2: S4D Policy and Strategy

  • S4D and its functions within various government policies
  • S4D as a theme in global policies relating to peace and sustainability
  • S4D strategies within transnational organisational policies and frameworks

Module 3: S4D Programme Designing, Planning, Monitoring and Evaluation

  • Creating a Theory of Change (TOC) specific to S4D
  • Designing sustainable and effective S4D programmes
  • Appropriate monitoring and evaluation systems as part of S4D programmes

Module 4: S4D & Gender

  • Understanding Gender & Socialisation
  • Perpetuation of gender norms through sports
  • Prevention of sexual harassment and violence in sports
  • Challenging socialisation & gender norms through S4D approaches with adolescent girls & boys
  • Promoting leadership and other opportunities for girls through S4D approaches

Module 5: Growth of S4D

  • Advocacy for S4D
  • Funding landscape in S4D
  • Future of S4D
Enroll Here!